Since several work modes are offered to all our employees (100% from home, Flex, 100% in-office), job opportunities posted here are available whether you live in Quebec or Ontario, unless indicated otherwise.
The Lead Level Designer is the champion of the Level Design Director and Creative Director's visions over levels and acts as the leader and liaison for a team of level designers, connecting the team with Level Art and Game Design. He or she creates and elaborates the core principles of level creation & takes part in the improvement of the level creation pipeline. The Lead Level Designer guides his team and participates in the development of new procedural levels & mechanics, while pushing the technological, production and creative boundaries.
Experience with multiplayer design and hands-on implementation skills are required. This person will be expected to receive and address feedback from the Level Design Director, Creative Director, Producer as well as interact with other disciplines during the map creation process.
In this role you will :
- Drive a level design team in the creation and delivery of high-quality games;
- Work with the producer, design director, product managers and other leads to coordinate the level design team throughout the life of the project;
- Commit to deadlines and work with the production to set projects priorities and create work schedule for his team;
- Drive the level development process with a creative mindset;
- Establish and maintain clear metrics supporting the creation process of maps;
- Develop concepts to communicate the creative vision by combining visual aids, environment maps, data sheets & prototypes;
- Help build & document better, more efficient processes with the level design team & connected disciplines;
- Keep on top of gameplay, environment and feature trends within the industry, and especially within the specific genre of the project;
- To be able to challenge others with tact;
- Develops his team talent pool by acting as a coach and mentor. Assess your team’s work on a daily and provide constructive feedback and/or training when necessary;
- Manage your direct reports’ semi and annual performance review;
- Contribute to providing a work environment conducive to employee engagement
What we're looking for :
- You must have 5+ years industry experience in a Senior role on at least 3 released titles;
- Experience managing a level design team;
- Experience with procedural level systems;
- Deep knowledge of the video game industry;
- Excellent creative and technical communications skills (written and oral);
- Excellent conceptualization skills;
- Excellent team player;
- Creative and detail-oriented mindset;
- Able and willing to adapt to constant changes
- Demonstrated skills in research and analysis;
- Capacity to meet deadlines;
- Experience with Unreal Engine;
- Expertise with Confluence and Jira a plus;
- Expertise with Photoshop or Maya a plus;
- Must play games of all genres and be able to describe their strengths and weaknesses in a way that all can understand;
Joining Behaviour means being part of a company that believes in equity and diversity. We base all employment decisions on merit, qualifications, and competence. We will never discriminate on the grounds of national or ethnic origin, health, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or disability. The masculine is used without any discrimination and for the sole purpose of lightening the text.
About Behaviour Interactive
Behaviour Interactive is the largest Canadian gaming studio, with more than 1,200 employees worldwide. Behaviour is best known for its flagship franchise, the multiplayer survival horror game Dead by Daylight™, which has entertained over 50 million players across multiple platforms. The studio is currently expanding its portfolio of original IP with multiple projects, including the highly anticipated base building and raiding title Meet Your Maker™. Behaviour has also established itself as one of the world’s foremost providers of external development services. The company has partnered with many of the gaming industry’s leaders, including Microsoft, Sony, EA, Warner, Netflix, and Take-Two, among many others. Over 30 years, Behaviour has developed an unparalleled, award-winning culture. The company was named one of the Best Places To Work in Canada by GamesIndustry.biz, and has been recognized with Deloitte Canada’s Enterprise Fast 15 and Best Managed Company awards. Headquartered in Montreal, Behaviour has expanded its global presence with studios in Toronto (Behaviour Toronto), Seattle (Midwinter Entertainment), and the United Kingdom (Behaviour UK – North).
See all open positions