We are looking for a lead programmer for a backend team of 6-7 programmers working on an unannounced AAA game as a service (GaaS). The lead backend programmer and backend team are part of a larger production team that includesprogramming, game design, art, animation, and other disciplines. The chosen candidate will work on the development of a wide variety of features that will be implemented in the backend as online services, andthat will include both key launch features as well as features for a continued live development roadmap. We are looking for someone to lead the backend team and be accountable for the delivery of backend components, to help us achieve our vision of making a great GaaS.
In this role you will :
- Ensure that the team delivers the required features on time and with top quality;
- Schedule tasks and assign them, organize how they get done, and follow-up on their progress;
- Do a lot of backend feature scoping and estimations with the help of programmers and other colleagues (other lead programmers, technical leads etc.);
- Communicate regularly with your team members. Hold 1-1’s to exchange feedback. You will also be involved in supporting their career progression;
- Communicate regularly with producers, product managers, game designers, and other stakeholders by keeping them aware of the status, progress, scope, and risks related to backend features;
- Perform technical tasks: Support and challenge the technical director, the technical leads, as well as your team members in design and implementation decision making. You may do a certain amount of coding and debugging outside of the critical path.
What we're looking for :
- Previous people management experience, having led at least one programming team;
- Experience as a lead backend programmer is a big plus;
- Previous experience as a backend programmer is a must;
- Experience in Node.js, Docker, and AWS is a plus;
- Great communication skills.
Joining Behaviour means being part of a company that believes in equity and diversity. We base all employment decisions on merit, qualifications, and competence. We will never discriminate on the grounds of national or ethnic origin, health, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or disability. The masculine is used without any discrimination and for the sole purpose of lightening the text.
About Behaviour Interactive
Celebrating its 30th year, and with more than 1,000 full-time employees, the studio has enjoyed immense success with its original IP Dead by Daylight, which now has more than 50 million players around the world and across all platforms. Behaviour holds co-developer credits for some of the gaming industry’s largest titles (such as Assassin’s Creed, Gears 5, Call of Duty and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2) and developed an unparalleled, award-winning culture within the gaming industry. Winner of Deloitte Canada’s Enterprise Fast 15 and Best Managed Company awards and listed as one of the Best Places To Work – Canada by GamesIndustry.biz in 2021, Behaviour is a leading development studio, cultivating career growth and talent development within the gaming industry. Behaviour counts among its partners some of the world’s most renowned brands, including Microsoft, Sony, EA, Warner, 2K and many more.
See all open positions