The role of the Narrative Designer is to support the Narrative Director and act as the champion of a game’s story, functioning as the central resource for all things narrative-related. The Narrative Designer works closely with a project’s core interdisciplinary design team during every step of the process to develop a memorable and meaningful narrative that aligns with the game’s mechanics, design, and structure.
In this role you will :
- Working with the development team to brainstorm creative ways to encapsulate the game’s core mechanics through story and narrative;
- Establishing the lore and tone of the world of the game and proposing creative and efficient ways to effectively present this world to the player;
- Defining characters, their backstories, and personalities;
- Writing and revising all in-game dialogue and text;
- Identifying Narrative problems and brainstorming creative solutions with colleagues;
- Working to create and establish the “voice” of a game;
- Collaborating with cinematic and sound teams to create and maintain consistent narrative execution;
- Working closely with consultants to ensure the narrative elements are culturally sensitive for key demographics;
- Creating documents & material to support casting and marketing needs;
- Generating detailed voice prints and voice-over scripts and liaising with external voice-over houses and sound designers.
- Ability to craft a clear and coherent story;
- Ability to display a strong understanding of plot, structure, and character;
- Must understand how story is used to support game mechanics and enhance player retention;
- Displays excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Possesses a strong understanding of visual storytelling;
- Possesses an in-depth knowledge and passion for the history and theories governing interactive storytelling;
- Ability to work positively in a collaborative environment;
- Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills, and an awareness of how to navigate limitations and work with available art/programming resources;
- Ability to meet aggressive deadlines;
- Ability to communicate effectively in a diverse environment;
- Organized and able to juggle multiple projects at once;
- Passionate about gaming, and boasts an in-depth knowledge of games, game culture, and the entertainment industry as a whole.
What we're looking for :
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in English, Creative Writing, Theatre, or Film;
- Mastery of the English language;
- Understanding of basic game-design fundamentals and principles;
- Understanding of how to present a clear narrative concept flow using Visio, Excel, PPT, or other related tools;
- Previous professional experience as a writer in the game or entertainment industry.
Joining Behaviour means being part of a company that believes in equity and diversity. We base all employment decisions on merit, qualifications, and competence. We will never discriminate on the grounds of national or ethnic origin, health, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or disability. The masculine is used without any discrimination and for the sole purpose of lightening the text.
About Behaviour Interactive
Behaviour Interactive was founded in 1992 and is Canada’s largest independent game developer and publisher. Celebrating its 30th year, and with more than 900 full-time employees, the studio has enjoyed immense success with its original IP Dead by Daylight, which now has more than 50 million players around the world and across all platforms. Behaviour holds co-developer credits for some of the gaming industry’s largest titles (such as Assassin’s Creed, Gears 5 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2) and developed an unparalleled, award-winning culture within the gaming industry. Winner of Deloitte Canada’s Enterprise Fast 15 and Best Managed Company awards and listed one of the Best Places to Work – Canada by GamesIndustry.biz in 2021, Behaviour is a leading development studio cultivating career growth and talent development within the gaming industry. Behaviour counts among its partners some of the world’s most renowned brands, including Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and many more.
See all open positions