Midwinter Entertainment was founded as an independent game developer in 2016. In 2022 we proudly became a Behaviour Interactive company and are now working on our next unannounced title. We believe in a culture of playfulness, fearlessness, and respect, and we aspire to create a thriving community that shares in our values, both around our games and in our workplace.
Midwinter is looking for a Lead Systems Designer to join our talented team. We are a small studio where the impact of your work will be felt in the games that we make.
You will be a champion of the Director’s creative vision and act as the leader and liaison for a team of designers building the core game loop. You will help develop and execute the core principles of the game, develop new mechanics and concepts, and iterate while pushing the boundaries on a creative new title. Your goal is to lead the team to produce an outstanding and compelling third-person action experience.
In this role you will :
- Manage a design team in the creation and delivery of high-quality game systems and content
- Provide design leadership and inspiration to achieve compelling, tactile gameplay and controls
- Work with the Creative Director, the metagame team, product managers and others to coordinate efforts throughout the life of the title
- Work with producers to set team priorities and create work schedules for designers
- Drive the collaborative development process through creative documentation and evangelization of the system designers’ work
- Represent the game’s vision in frequent all-team playtests and feedback sessions
- Help improve processes with the design team. Work with your design team to establish scripting, play balancing, and world building tool requirements
- Keep on top of gameplay and feature trends within the industry
What we're looking for :
- 6+ Years of industry experience
- Experience with the Unreal Editor
- Experience delivering at least one AAA First-Person or Third-Person Action Title
- Experience with session-based live service games
- Deep knowledge of the video game industry
- Experience managing a design team
- Creative and detail-oriented mindset
- Excellent creative and technical communication skills (written and verbal)
While we believe all the listed qualifications are important to the role, we’re keen to hear from anyone who believes they have valuable experience to bring. If you’re passionate and align with our team and mission, but don’t meet all the qualifications, please still apply!
JOIN US AND WE'LL KEEP WARM TOGETHER!
Midwinter Entertainment, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Joining Behaviour means being part of a company that believes in equity and diversity. We base all employment decisions on merit, qualifications, and competence. We will never discriminate on the grounds of national or ethnic origin, health, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or disability. The masculine is used without any discrimination and for the sole purpose of lightening the text.
About Behaviour Interactive
Behaviour Interactive was founded in 1992 and is Canada’s largest independent game developer and publisher. Celebrating its 30th year, and with more than 900 full-time employees, the studio has enjoyed immense success with its original IP Dead by Daylight, which now has more than 50 million players around the world and across all platforms. Behaviour holds co-developer credits for some of the gaming industry’s largest titles (such as Assassin’s Creed, Gears 5 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2) and developed an unparalleled, award-winning culture within the gaming industry. Winner of Deloitte Canada’s Enterprise Fast 15 and Best Managed Company awards and listed one of the Best Places to Work – Canada by GamesIndustry.biz in 2021, Behaviour is a leading development studio cultivating career growth and talent development within the gaming industry. Behaviour counts among its partners some of the world’s most renowned brands, including Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and many more.
See all open positions