Behaviour Interactive is seeking a Lead Game Designer to become a part of our endeavor to increase our mobile game success. As a lead, you will allocate and oversee the work of all Game Designers on the team. This would include, but not be limited to, conceptualizing new features, creating desirable content, balancing progression and other systems, creating dynamically engaging experiences, and optimizing the game’s moment-to-moment feel.
In direct support of the Creative Director, you will be a critical champion to the game’s vision and will distil this vision so that the Design team have a clear grasp of their objectives. You will set a high standard of quality and consistency in design documentation and use of tools, both through direct instruction and leading by example.
In this role you will :
- Support the Creative Director and other key stakeholders in establishing the game’s identity through gameplay and how it intertwines with its licensed or created IP
- Allocate duties, oversee the team’s progress, and ensure the quality of game design deliverables
- Help foster an environment for all team members that encourages creativity and continuous development
- Ensure the team’s contribution to product success by understanding player needs with an ability to funnel them into actionable stories
- Help manage any conflicts that arise within the team and ensure that final decisions directly support product goals
- As needed, design systems that drive Engagement, Retention, and Monetization to fulfil the creative vision of the game
- As needed, conceptualize virtual content such as levels, characters, weapons, gear, items, and other collectibles that fit within established gameplay rules and features
- As needed, establish stats, effects, and attributes for the above content and assist in balancing
- Integrate in-game content using design tools, then playtest, iterate, and fix bugs in your work to ensure a high level of quality
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to establish art, animations, and tech needed to fulfill your team’s designs
- Help to mentor the team and set a positive example through experience and industry best practices
- As needed, drive prototyping in a game’s early stages alongside design and other disciplines
- Support the career advancement of the Design team and recommend trainings or sessions that improve skills which benefit their day-to-day work or personal growth
- Support the Creative Director and the mobile studio in building out the design team through recommendations and the selection of new team members
What we're looking for :
- A passion for making and playing F2P mobile games
- A basic understanding of KPIs and how they are impacted by specific game elements
- A basic understanding of the agile methodology and scrum framework, with a mastery of related tools such as Jira, Confluence, Hansoft, etc.
- 7+ years of game industry experience as a designer, having a baseline understanding of all design discipline functions with proficiency in at least two
- Strong understanding of spreadsheets and advanced formulae for use in design
- Shipped at least three mobile titles in a design role
- Experience managing a team of designers as a Lead or Senior Designer
- Thorough understanding of game design fundamentals and theory on how to craft an enjoyable experience and content
- Ability to write detailed design documents and presentations
- Able and willing to adapt to constant changes
- Excellent ability to communicate in spoken and written English
- Ability to communicate in spoken and written French is a plus
- Experience with Unity Engine and related tools is a plus
- Experience working on live games is a plus
Joining Behaviour means being part of a company that believes in equity and diversity. We base all employment decisions on merit, qualifications, and competence. We will never discriminate on the grounds of national or ethnic origin, health, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or disability. The masculine is used without any discrimination and for the sole purpose of lightening the text.
About Behaviour Interactive
Behaviour Interactive, Canada's largest independent game developer and publisher, was founded in 1992. With its award-winning original IP Dead by Daylight™ and the strategy RPG Game of Thrones Beyond the Wall™, Behaviour continues to grow as a leading global developer and now boasts nearly 700 employees in its Montreal studio. Behaviour counts among its partners some of the world's most renowned brands including Activision, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Ubisoft and many more.
See all open positions