The Lead Game Designer is the champion of the Director’s creative vision and acts as the leader and liaison for a team of designers. He or she creates and elaborates the core principles of the game. The Lead Game Designer develops new mechanics and original concepts while pushing the technological, production, and creative boundaries. His or her goal is to lead the team to produce an outstanding and compelling game that will provide the player with an unforgettable experience.
In this role you will :
- Drive a design team in the creation and delivery of high-quality games;
- Provide design leadership and inspiration to achieve unparalleled gameplay, environments, characters, AI, physics, feedback, and control interfaces;
- Work with the producer, creative director, and other leads to coordinate the design team throughout the life of the project;
- Commit to deadlines and work with the production to set projects priorities and create work schedule for your team;
- Direct and develop all game design documents on a macro and micro level, and drive the development process in a creative way[C1] ;
- Develop concepts to communicate the creative vision by combining visual aids, environment maps, data sheets, storyboards and concept art, with the assistance of the art team;
- Help build better, more efficient processes with your entire design team. Work with your design team to establish scripting, play balancing, and world building tool requirements.
- Keep on top of gameplay, environment and feature trends within the industry, and especially within the specific genre of the project;
- Interface with clients to maintain the game’s vision through to completion as their primary design liaison;
- Challenge others with tact;
- Develop your team talent pool by acting as a coach and mentor. Assess your team’s work daily and provide constructive feedback and/or training when necessary;
- Manage your direct reports’ semi and annual performance review;
- Contribute to providing a work environment conducive to employee engagement.
What we're looking for :
- You must have 5+ years industry experience in a senior role on at least 3 released titles;
- Experience delivering at least one AAA First-Person or Third-Person Shooter;
- Experience managing a design team;
- Deep knowledge of the video game industry;
- Excellent creative and technical communication skills (written and oral);
- Creative and detail-oriented mindset;
- Demonstrated skills in research and analysis;
- Expertise with Photoshop or Maya a plus;
- Expertise with Confluence and Jira a plus;
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine is a plus;
- Must play games of all genres and be able to describe their strengths and weaknesses in a way that all can understand.
Joining Behaviour means being part of a company that believes in equity and diversity. We base all employment decisions on merit, qualifications, and competence. We will never discriminate on the grounds of national or ethnic origin, health, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or disability. The masculine is used without any discrimination and for the sole purpose of lightening the text.
About Behaviour Interactive
Behaviour Interactive was founded in 1992 and is Canada’s largest independent game developer and publisher. Celebrating its 30th year, and with more than 900 full-time employees, the studio has enjoyed immense success with its original IP Dead by Daylight, which now has more than 50 million players around the world and across all platforms. Behaviour holds co-developer credits for some of the gaming industry’s largest titles (such as Assassin’s Creed, Gears 5 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2) and developed an unparalleled, award-winning culture within the gaming industry. Winner of Deloitte Canada’s Enterprise Fast 15 and Best Managed Company awards and listed one of the Best Places to Work – Canada by GamesIndustry.biz in 2021, Behaviour is a leading development studio cultivating career growth and talent development within the gaming industry. Behaviour counts among its partners some of the world’s most renowned brands, including Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and many more.
See all open positions