You are the keeper of the creative vision of the game. You create and elaborate the core principles of the game. You develop new mechanics and original concepts while staying aware of the technology and the brand in the context of competitive PC games. Your goal: produce an outstanding and unforgettable player experience that keeps players excited and viewers engaged. You are also responsible for ensuring that the development team clearly understands the vision of the game.
The Game Designer reports to the Lead Game Designer of the project. They are expected to receive and address feedback from (among others) their direct lead, the Design Director, Product Managers and other parts of the studio direction.
In this role you will :
- Design the Project:
- Provide design vision & documentation to achieve unparalleled gameplay, controls, interface, etc.;
- Provide time estimates, as required;
- Search for solutions to address client & community feedback and stay on track (budget/scope/timeline);
- Maintain high-quality gameplay that stays within the confines of the brand;
- Solid understanding of user acquisition and retention strategies;
- Ensure that difficulty curves are consistent and appropriate for the type of game and audience;
- Build solid game systems, game modes and balance them throughout the lifetime of the product.
- Create Content:
- Create & update game design documentation;
- Create and balance gameplay systems, game modes, and event specific content;
What we're looking for :
- Experience in designing and balancing highly entertaining events and ‘battle-pass’ systems for live games very desirable;
- Experience in directly contributing to prototyping phases of development cycles desirable.
- Experience using , blueprints, flowgraph desirable.
- 5+ years of experience in the video game industry;
- Strong skills in mathematics and Excel;
- Keep abreast of current trends in gameplay, monetization, and competitive business models;
- Experience in an independent Studio in the gaming industry is a big asset;
- Strong interest in competitive games and video games;
- Desire to contribute to the game quality;
- Superior mastery of English is a must;
- Good knowledge of the video game streaming/broadcasting culture;
- Able and willing to adapt to constant changes;
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Involved in the pre-production production and post-production phases of at least 3 published games.
Joining Behaviour means being part of a company that believes in equity and diversity. We base all employment decisions on merit, qualifications, and competence. We will never discriminate on the grounds of national or ethnic origin, health, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or disability. The masculine is used without any discrimination and for the sole purpose of lightening the text.
About Behaviour Interactive
Behaviour Interactive, Canada's largest independent game developer and publisher, was founded in 1992. With its award-winning original IP Dead by Daylight™ and the strategy RPG Game of Thrones Beyond the Wall™, Behaviour continues to grow as a leading global developer and now boasts more than 800 employees in its Montreal studio. Behaviour counts among its partners some of the world's most renowned brands including Activision, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Ubisoft and many more.
See all open positions